There are many benefits of working at Orbital South Colleges, but here are a few highlights:
Staff are appointed to a salary (or hourly rate) based on the role and the candidate’s qualifications, skills, and experience. The salary, or salary range, is advertised for each role and if appointed actual salary is detailed in offer letters. On an annual basis the Corporation conducts a salary benchmarking exercise, as well as considering a cost of living increase and incremental increases (for those due). Pay day is the 24th of each month, or last working day before that date. Sessional staff are paid a month in arrears.
Orbital South Colleges offer generous annual leave entitlements, plus the bank holiday entitlement of 8 days and up to 7 closure days per year. All entitlements are pro-rated for part time staff. The holiday year runs from 1 September to 31 August (in line with the College academic year and College Calendars), and holiday for new starters will be pro-rated based on completed months worked.
Specific annual leave entitlement is highlighted in Contracts of Employment and offer letters, however annual entitlements for full time staff are as follows:
- Managers = 32 days
- Academic staff = 35 days
- Support staff = 27 days
Pension Scheme (Life Assurance)
Staff are entitled to join either the ‘Teachers Pension Scheme’, the ‘Local Government Pension Scheme’ or the ‘People’s Pension Scheme’. Individual entitlement will be detailed in offer letters and Contracts of Employment and full information will be provided.
The upskilling of our staff is a key priority for the College, we therefore offer and facilitate a significant range of individual and group training opportunities. This includes periods designated during the academic year for College organised events and also 2 all staff College Conference days a year.
- There is free on-site parking for all staff at both Colleges.
- East Surrey College operates a free minibus service from Redhill town centre, where there is a mainline train station, and is also on a number of bus routes.
- John Ruskin College is within walking distance of a tram stop and is also on a number of bus routes.
Excellent on-site facilities:
- There are free on-site gyms at both College sites (you may be required to undertake a short induction with a minimal one-off fee).
- There are usually also staff fitness courses that run in the morning and over lunchtime.
- Canteen & Leisure Facilities:
- There is a canteen at each College (one on each campus at ESC) serving a range of hot and cold food and drinks.
- In additional to this, at East Surrey College there is also a shop serving a range of hot and cold food and Costa Coffee.
- There are also lots of relaxing, green open spaces with outdoor seating.
- Hair & Beauty Facilities:
- Both sites have access to on-site Hair & Beauty Salons that have a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere and offer a wide-range of hair and beauty treatments to staff, with generous discounts on selected treatments.
- At John Ruskin College there is access to a steam room and at East Surrey College there is also access to a steam room, sauna and dry flotation area.
College Welcome & Wellbeing
Orbital South Colleges has a thorough Induction process for all new staff, which includes: an Induction with HR during your first week of employment; a departmental Induction; attendance at a ‘Getting To Know You’ College Induction with other new staff and the Executive Team. In addition, we have a robust and supportive Probation process, as well as an informal mentor/buddy scheme for staff during their first few months of employment and support from the Teacher Training Team (for Teaching Staff).
Further Education is an incredibly rewarding sector to work in, but it can also be a fast paced and high pressure working environment. We are committed to the ‘Mindful Employer Charter’ and have a number of proactive initiatives in place to promote staff health and wellbeing, which include:-
- The Education Support Partnership provides a free and confidential counselling service (Employee Support Helpline) to individuals working in the education industry. They provide 24 Hour telephone access to staff, providing advice, guidance and emotional support.
- Our Occupational Health provider gives specialist advice on staff health and wellbeing, with referral via the HR department.
- We fund and arrange free flu vaccinations annually in October, which are open to all staff.
- Our ‘Absence & Family Friendly Procedure’ and ‘Flexible Working Procedure’, support our staff to achieve work life balance and our ‘Wellbeing & Resilience Policy’ also supports the Corporation’s ethos of promoting wellbeing, good health and attendance.
- We have a number of qualified Mental Health First Aiders and trained Mental Health Champions at ESC and Safeguarding Champions at JRC.
- ESC and JRC have dedicated Wellbeing and Enrichment provision. Alongside vocational programmes, the College Enrichment Officers ensure that there are a range of enrichment (sports and wellbeing) activities organised for staff to take part in.
- Orbital South Colleges promotes a number of national awareness-raising days or campaigns throughout the year round including World Mental Health Day, Mental Health Awareness Week and Time to Talk, encouraging staff to engage with discussions around mental health and wellbeing.
Employment at Orbital South Colleges is subject to the following conditions of employment.
Eligibility to work in the UK
All new staff need to satisfy the College that they are entitled to live and work in the UK. In accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, the College is legally required to make certain checks on all new staff. Please click on this link to see which documents are required.
New staff must provide contact details for relevant referees, covering all employment and education in the last 5 years. Gaps in employment will also need to be explained satisfactorily. Your referees must be able to comment on your ability and suitability for the post (relatives and friends are not acceptable). Overseas referencing will also need to be carried out if you have lived or worked abroad for over 3 months in the last 10 years.
Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS - Enhanced Disclosure)
Prior to taking up employment at the College, you will be required to complete an enhanced DBS application online, and to provide the relevant ID’s required for the application. The College has a transparent and non-discriminatory process in place to manage situations where a positive DBS is received (eg contains convictions or cautions). In addition, overseas Police checks will also need to be carried out if you have lived or worked abroad for over 3 months in the last 10 years (these will be specific to the particular Country).
You will also be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire after your offer of employment and prior to taking up employment at the College. Your completed form will be treated with complete confidence and any medical disclosures will be followed up with you by a member of HR, or an Occupational Professional to ensure that suitable adjustments are in place should these be required.
Proof of Credentials
You will be required to provide copies of any required qualification certificates, all qualifications you list on your CV or Application Form and also proof of relevant organisational membership.
Social Media Check
A social media check will be completed by the Recruitment team for shortlisted candidates (usually prior to interview). In the event that information of concern is identified, this will be noted and you will be given the opportunity to discuss it further.
Equality & Diversity, Safeguarding and Prevent Duty
We are committed to equal opportunities in all areas of work, and student life, including recruitment and selection. We value our diverse workforce and ensure applicants are not discriminated against or disadvantaged by unnecessary job requirements. Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding and the Prevent agenda are fully embedded in to College life and commitment to these initiatives is essential from each staff member and student.
Get in touch
HR & Recruitment TeamT: 01737 772611 (option 2)